I strongly believe that every non-vegetarian/vegan cook should know how to cook a whole chicken. I view it as an essential life skill. A roasted chicken in the oven is one of the easiest, most comforting dinners that you can serve. A whole chicken cooked in the Instant Pot® pressure cooker, makes it easy for anyone to cook a whole chicken quickly. I like to do this, even when we aren't having it for dinner. I use the cooked chicken in soups, stews, burrito bowls, and in small containers to top salads or serve my toddler for lunch.
In this recipe, I cooked the chicken along with the potatoes and carrots. I love a one-pot meal. A rough cooking guide for using the Instant Pot® pressure cooker is to cook the chicken on manual for about 6 minutes/pound. My chicken was a little over 4.5 pounds, so it was finished in 28 minutes.
Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot®
1 whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon olive
3 carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large pieces
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup water
1. Set Instant Pot® to saute. Heat olive oil until it shimmers.
2. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika. Add the chicken to Instant Pot® breast side down. Brown for4 minutes. Carefully turn the chicken so the breast side is up. Brown for additional 4 minutes.
3. Add the wine to deglaze (as best as you can around the chicken). Sprinkle the carrots and potatoes around the chicken. Add the water.
4. Set pot to manual - high pressure and adjust time to 6min/pound. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. When finished, turn the valve to venting to quickly vent the steam. Test to make use a kitchen thermometer measures 160F. If it doesn't read 160F, follow the same steps in 3 minute increments until it does.
5. Remove chicken and vegetables from the pot. Serve with the pan drippings. If desired, you can broil the chicken to crisp up the skin.
Hi, I am Julie and welcome to Instantly Delicious. I am so glad you are here to share in my adventures with using an Instant Pot ® to make easy, nutritious, and Instantly Delicious food.
Any/all of the links on instantlydelicious.com are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and buy certain items, I will receive a small commission. The price is the same for you, though! Thank you for your support.