I strongly believe that every non-vegetarian/vegan cook should know how to cook a whole chicken. I view it as an essential life skill. A roasted chicken in the oven is one of the easiest, most comforting dinners that you can serve. A whole chicken cooked in the Instant Pot® pressure cooker, makes it easy for anyone to cook a whole chicken quickly. I like to do this, even when we aren't having it for dinner. I use the cooked chicken in soups, stews, burrito bowls, and in small containers to top salads or serve my toddler for lunch.
In this recipe, I cooked the chicken along with the potatoes and carrots. I love a one-pot meal. A rough cooking guide for using the Instant Pot® pressure cooker is to cook the chicken on manual for about 6 minutes/pound. My chicken was a little over 4.5 pounds, so it was finished in 28 minutes.
Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot®
1 whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon olive
3 carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large pieces
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup water
1. Set Instant Pot® to saute. Heat olive oil until it shimmers.
2. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika. Add the chicken to Instant Pot® back side down. Brown for 4 minutes. Carefully turn the chicken so the breast side is down. Brown for additional 4 minutes.
3. Add the wine to deglaze. Sprinkle the carrots and potatoes around the chicken. Add the water.
4. Set pot to manual - high pressure and adjust time to 6min/pound. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. When finished, turn the valve to venting to quickly vent the steam. Test to make use a kitchen thermometer measures 160F.
5. Remove chicken and vegetables from the pot. Serve with the pan drippings.
Hi, I am Julie and welcome to Instantly Delicious. I am so glad you are here to share in my adventures with using an Instant Pot ® to make easy, nutritious, and Instantly Delicious food.
Any/all of the links on instantlydelicious.com are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and buy certain items, I will receive a small commission. The price is the same for you, though! Thank you for your support.