The holiday season is upon us. While I spend Thanksgiving enjoying apple and pumpkin pies, as soon as December rolls around it is time for cookies and cheesecake. Last year, I made an Egg Nog Cheesecake and it was a big hit with my family. I knew I wanted to make another cheesecake that I could share at holiday gatherings. I grabbed a box of peppermint sandwich cookies at Trader Joe's this week and I immediately thought about making a chocolate cheesecake in the Instant Pot®. If you haven't made a cheesecake in your Instant Pot®, I encourage you to try it. It is pretty foolproof and makes a pretty impressive dessert.
There are a couple of things to consider when making a cheesecake in the Instant Pot®. First, the wet environment means that it is really easy to make a perfect cheesecake. It also means that water will accumulate on your creation if you don't take some precautions. The first time I made a cheesecake this happened to me and I was horrified. However, I just poured the water off and it ended up being fine. Since then, I always wrap my cheesecake in foil, to prevent this problem. Second, in order to get the cheesecake out of the pot, it helps to make a foil sling. I have some directions for this at the bottom of the recipe.
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake in an Instant Pot®
For the crust:
2 T. butter, melted
12 chocolate peppermint sandwich cookies (alternately you can use 12 chocolate sandwich cookies with 1/2 teaspoon mint extract)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract (optional, to enhance minty flavor if using candy cane cookies)
For the cheesecake:
2- 8 ounce packages of cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate melted in double boiler ormicrowave
1/2 cup whole milk, plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup water (for the bottom of the Instant Pot®)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Bring cream cheese, eggs, and yogurt to room temperature.
3. Spray a 7-inch spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray. Optional: Wrap bottom of pan in a sheet of aluminum foil. This is to prevent any possible leaks.
4. Add 12 sandwich cookies to a sandwich bag and crush with a rolling pin or heavy-bottomed pot. Combine crushed cookies with melted butter. If desired, stir in 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract to enhance the minty flavor. If using plain chocolate sandwich cookies, stir in 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract. Press the cookie mixture into the bottom and slightly up the sides of your spring form pan. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. When finished, set aside to cool.
4. In a food processor or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, salt and sugar. Mix until well blended and smooth. Add eggs, one at a time. Add in yogurt, melted chocolate, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Mix until just combined.
5. Pour cheesecake batter into the prepared spring form pan. This is optional, but I like to cover my spring form pan tightly with another sheet of foil to prevent water from forming on the cheesecake.
6. Place pan on foil sling* and use it to lower the pan onto the trivet. Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of theInstant Pot®. Set the pot to manual - high pressure for 35 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position. As soon as it is finished, turn off or unplug the pot and allow the pressure to release naturally.
6. When safe to open, use the foil sling to lift the finished cheesecake out of the pot. If necessary, pour off any water and place on a wire rack to cool for one hour. Chill completely in the refrigerator before serving.
*How to make a foil sling:
Make a foil sling by tearing off a 15 inch sheet of aluminum foil and folding it in half two times. This is going to be used to lift the cheesecake in and out of the Instant Pot®.
Click to set custom HTML
Hi, I am Julie and welcome to Instantly Delicious. I am so glad you are here to share in my adventures with using an Instant Pot ® to make easy, nutritious, and Instantly Delicious food.
Any/all of the links on instantlydelicious.com are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and buy certain items, I will receive a small commission. The price is the same for you, though! Thank you for your support.