Everyone has their guilty pleasure- mine is Chicago-style Italian Beef. Portillo's, Al's, Johnnie's - you name it, I love it. It is definitely a Chicago thing, but for folks living in another part of the country, it is thinly sliced roast beef on a crusty roll with (sweet) bell peppers and (hot) giardinara, covered in gravy (the liquid in which the beef and peppers cooked). It is a wet sloppy mess, but so yummy.
The Instant Pot® is the perfect way to prepare Italian Beef. The beef cooks quickly in a flavorful broth, and then chills overnight in the refrigerator to make it easy to thinly slice the meat. The next day, you can either reheat the beef and the gravy in the Instant Pot® on saute, or on the stove. I serve Italian Beef with chips and a green salad. The recipe makes a ton, so it is great for parties.
Chicago-style Italian Beef in a Pressure Cooker
Makes 12 sandwiches
3 lb. rump or bottom round roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups beef broth
1 onion, quartered
1 bell pepper, sliced
optional: 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
optional: hot giardinara
12 French Rolls
1. Combine spices and seasoning in a small bowl. Rub seasonings over the entire roast. Allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
2 .Set the Instant Pot® to saute and heat the olive oil. Brown each side of the roast for about 2-3 minutes a side.
3. Cover the roast with stock and add onions, bell pepper, and hot pepper flakes to the pot.
4. Set the pot to manual-high pressure for 35 minutes, making sure the vent is set to sealing. When finished, allow the pressure to release naturally. Remove the inner pot and cover with foil, placing in the refrigerator to chill overnight. You can also move the roast and gravy to another container for chilling.
5. When ready to serve, remove the beef from the gravy and slice as thinly as possible. Remove any solidified fat from the gravy. Set the Instant Pot® to saute and simmer the gravy, onions, and peppers for about 5 minutes. Add the thinly sliced beef and heat through.
6. Serve beef on crusty french rolls, topped with peppers and hot giardinara. Either dip the sandwich into the gravy or pour the desired amount over each sandwich.
Hi, I am Julie and welcome to Instantly Delicious. I am so glad you are here to share in my adventures with using an Instant Pot ® to make easy, nutritious, and Instantly Delicious food.
Any/all of the links on instantlydelicious.com are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and buy certain items, I will receive a small commission. The price is the same for you, though! Thank you for your support.